There’s something I want to address without cross-talking because I feel it is IMPORTANT (in capital letters!!) and I’m very concerned. Greysheet abstinence is defined as 3 weighed and measured meals per day with nothing in between but black coffee, tea or diet soda – without exceptions – committed to a sponsor. Anything else is not Cambridge Greysheet abstinence.
The way I understand sponsoring, a qualified Greysheet sponsor is someone who:
- has been abstinent on the Greysheet without exceptions for 90 days or more
- has a sponsor who has been abstinent on the Greysheet without exceptions for 90 days or more (and that person has a sponsor again, and so on, and so on)
With 90 days or more of abstinence, a Greysheeter has learned enough and experienced enough to be able to guide a newcomer. And if I don’t know what to say to my sponsee, I refer the question to my own sponsor, who refers it to her own sponsor if necessary – until the answer is found.
I would not entrust my recovery to someone who:
- is not accountable (i.e. not being sponsored)
- makes exceptions in the food plan
- is unclear about what abstinence means.
I feel very strongly about this, and sorry if I’ve stepped on any toes.